10%
Other (shareware or commercial)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Darkbee

Which mail client do you use?

Post by Darkbee »

In addition to Popman of course!

Let me know if I've missed some big ones off of the list (I think I can add more options to the poll).

If you select the "other" options then it'd be great if you could specify. I tend to try to use Freeware or Open Source programs...

For example, as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm currently using Kaufman Mail Warrior, which is really lightweight (no unecessary features) and portable (can run off of a USB disk) but it is no longer in development and sometimes crashes.

I've also tried Y.A.M.C.(Yet Another Mail Client) but I didn't really like the interface.

And another brilliant client is i.Scribe which is almost perfect except that it is still very much in development and slightly unstable. Also, the free version only allows for 1 POP account. Although I don't mind paying for the full version (unlimited accounts) I'd rather wait until it reaches a more stable condition.

So, tell me about your client!
Darkbee

Post by Darkbee »

Phoenix Mail seems to be the type of thing I'm looking for!

It's still in beta but at least the very latest delevopment version only came out a few months ago.

There are a few things missing that would be nice like:

It doesn't handle HTML emails at all, you have to open them in something that can view HTML such as Internet Explorer (one up for Popman there!)

There are no message rules, black lists or white lists.

But it certainly is lightweight and portable!
kris

Becky

Post by kris »

I use Becky:
http://www.rimarts.co.jp/becky.htm
active yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beckymail/

It's also small, powerful and ultra-stable - rock solid!!!
It's shareware, but is pratically a one-time fee...
have never paid for un upgrade....

Becky has many features..you can for example put any message together to a thread...or you can have virtual folders...or search folders...

regards
kris :)
Darkbee

Post by Darkbee »

Well, so far I am still tempted to turn to Phoenix Mail, which is extremely lightweight and portable but it still lacks definitive HTML support (although I've since discovered it does have some basic HTML support). the fact that some people are still developing it (albeit very slowly) is encouraging.

A contender has emerged though, to challenge Phoenix, and that is Pimmy. At first I was rather put off by the name (The name sort of implies unecessary flashy bells and whistles). However, talk about judging a book by its cover... Pimmy is truly lightweight and portable. However, while it seems to have HTML support, I find the interface a little confusing. It seems that Pimmy is meant to be a POP3 server management tool (which would defeat the object of me using Popman) as well as an email client. On the upside its development is a lot more rapid than Phoenix and it has a wealth of features without being unecessarily large.

P.S. Thanks for the suggestions kris, I'll look into it.