Reply to Sender

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

Darkbee

Reply to Sender

Post by Darkbee »

The Reply-to-Sender option (either on the main toolbar OR in the file menu) always opens Microsoft Outlook Express even though I have configured QM as the mail client Popman should open.

Am I doing something wrong?

Some additional information
When I check under "Internet Options" on the control panel it tells me that I have no default mail client selected. Do I need to make QM the default system mail client?

When I use the "test" button, under the email client tab, QM opens without any problems (using the "mailto" radio option; this is the only option it seems to like)

I'm running Windows 2000 but I think the behaviour is the same for Windows ME.
Darkbee

Post by Darkbee »

I also forgot to mention that the "launch email client" button on the toolbar (and the menu option) do actually work and load QM correctly.

The problem is only when I try to reply to a message. Is, perhaps, the problem with QM rather than Popman? Does Popman perform some kind of default behaviour when a custom mail client doesn't work? i.e. Does it try to load Outlook Express instead?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

First of all, this is not a bug, it's a (missing) feature! ;-)

Selecting an "email client" program in the options dialog, means basically nothing more than: "launch this program, when pressing the 'Launch email client' button". It has no effect on the Reply To feature.

When you reply to a message, the only thing that counts is the "When replying" radio setting: The "mailto" option will use the standard Windows mailto approach (type "mailto:mail@address.org" in the Windows Run dialog and hit Enter). This will launch the "default mail client" that you can choose under "Internet Options" (or OE, if there is no default). The "MAPI" thing is basically just an advanced mailto.

I think QM is a nifty tool for compensating PopMan's lack of builtin SMTP support (especially when used on usb sticks). Therefore it would be nice to use it for replying without the need of changing the Windows "default mail client". This can be done by launching QM with the mailto:address parameter on the command line. This is not yet possible with PopMan, but I will add a fourth "When replying" option like "Launch email client with command line parameter:" with the next Beta...
Christian Hübner

Post by Guest »

Christian wrote:First of all, this is not a bug, it's a (missing) feature! ;-)
Oops, sorry for falsely accusing your feature of being a bug! :oops:
Selecting an "email client" program in the options dialog, means basically nothing more than: "launch this program, when pressing the 'Launch email client' button". It has no effect on the Reply To feature.
Now I understand. It's just a bit confusing because they are on the same tab BUT that is a logical place for them both to be.
When you reply to a message, the only thing that counts is the "When replying" radio setting: The "mailto" option will use the standard Windows mailto approach (type "mailto:mail@address.org" in the Windows Run dialog and hit Enter). This will launch the "default mail client" that you can choose under "Internet Options" (or OE, if there is no default). The "MAPI" thing is basically just an advanced mailto.
I actually tried following the instructions on the QM website for adding entries to the registry to make it the default mail client but Windows complained that the default mail client wasn't installed properly. If I could get that working then I would be happy with that solution until you released the next beta. Naturally, if I find out anymore info I'd be happy to share it with other users.
I think QM is a nifty tool for compensating PopMan's lack of builtin SMTP support (especially when used on usb sticks). Therefore it would be nice to use it for replying without the need of changing the Windows "default mail client". This can be done by launching QM with the mailto:address parameter on the command line. This is not yet possible with PopMan, but I will add a fourth "When replying" option like "Launch email client with command line parameter:" with the next Beta...
That would be extremely cool and make me very happy! :D Popman is almost complete when it comes to features that I want in a small program. Short of built in SMTP this would be the next best solution. Maybe built in SMTP could be for version 2.0! ;)

Keep up the good work,
Vielen dank
Darkbee

Post by Darkbee »

The new feature works like a charm; good work!!

I have a question which probably shouldn't be directed at you but it seems that you've had a chance to play with Qm, so you might know the answer. It states in the documentation that Qm supports the body tag but I haven't got it to work, have you?

[Perhaps you should move this post from the Bug Reports section!]