PopMan 1.3.13 released

Official news and announcements.

Moderator: Christian

Christian
Site Admin

PopMan 1.3.13 released

Post by Christian »

PopMan 1.3.13 supports OAuth2 sign-in for Google now.

But for this to generally work, Google first needs to approve it. Before then, I can add up to 100 email addresses for testing.

So if you or anybody else wants to test Google Sign-In, write me an email...
Christian Hübner
in3novs

Re: PopMan 1.3.13 released

Post by in3novs »

The 1.3.13 (and 1.3.14) version manages very well OAuth2, but only for imap servers (like imap.google.com).
It doesn't appear to manage pop3 servers (like pop.google.com). Google made it mandatory.

Any chance that a future popman 1.3.x version will manage Oauth2 for pop accounts, too ?
Maybe by using an explicit check option for "Oauth2" in account configuration. rather than to autodetect "imap" or "pop" in the server name, as it does now to show the Google button.

Many thanks, Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

POP3 simply was not a priority for me. I found POP3 access to GMail always somewhat problematic. Only IMAP4 really worked reliably. Is there really a need for POP3 GMail access?
Christian Hübner
qik

Post by qik »

Good to know it's just a matter of priorities, not a technical issue.
I, for one, would appreciate it, since it would allow me to run PopMan again.
I am using POP3 with TLS and it worked fine before Google changed the authentication rules.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

But why don't you simply use IMAP for GMail then?
Christian Hübner
in3novs

Post by in3novs »

I solved the issue with App passwords !
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

Google requires "2-Step-Verification" but I only use GMail, so it is enough :)
The app password allows to use the POP3 server as usual.

Christian wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 14:50 But why don't you simply use IMAP for GMail then?
Well, the POP3 logic is different, so using a mixture of POP3 and IMAP clients is not a good solution.

First trouble: the already read POP mails are not marked as read for IMAP, and conversely
That means, when switching from POP3 to IMAP, you need (in theory) to download 3-5 years of mails. Ugh !
In fact, I continue to use POP3 because I never solved this trouble,

In PopMan, the solution I found was to modify the "Parameters=" line in popman.ini file, for example:
Parameters=Mailbox = "INBOX";§r§nUseSearchCmd = "true";§r§nCriteria = "SINCE 07-june-2022 UNSEEN UNDELETED";§r§nIgnoreMailboxNotExisting = "false";§r§nTLS = "true";§r§nExpunge = "true";§r§nFastMode = "true"

I don't know if this is the good way. It it not useful to change periodically the SINCE criteria.
I found a list of IMAP criteria in PHP manual:
https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imap-search.php

Second issue is similar: deleted IMAP mails in PopMan will not be marked as deleted in another POP3 client.
I use mainly PopMan to clear my emails before downloading them in Thunderbird. Thunderbird allows POP3 with Oauth2.
So if I use IMAP in PopMan, and delete the emails in the IMAP server, I shall still download them in the POP3 client (Thunderbird)

Finally, I agree with Qik
If there is no SW complications, I agree that adding Oauth2 to POP3 servers would help a lot of people reluctant to switch to IMAP.
Or simply add a suggestion to use App passwords for Google accounts (it requires the 2 step verification).
The Google App password bypasses completely the Oauth2 logic.

BTW, "popMan" means POP manager, after all :D
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

PopMan 1.3.15 supports POP3 with GMail OAuth 2 sign in.
Christian Hübner