SPAMS + JUNK MAILS, kiss your @#$%^&* goodbye!!!!

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

tengvilla

SPAMS + JUNK MAILS, kiss your @#$%^&* goodbye!!!!

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Guys,

Enough is enough and NO MORE spam mail problems, Anti-Spam Dictionary, anti-Spam rules, Anti-spam fighting tool, blocking spammers, Bouncing back spam, fight the spammers, etc.

I found a way to defeat junk mails and spammers unless spammers and phissers got hold of your e-mail address book list OR your e-mail address[es] and use it as a fake address[es]. BTW, it happened to me at one time using my owned e-mail address by the spammers. I have four active e-mail addresses, two IMAP accounts and two POP3 accounts that suit my needs in this procedure below.

When "Christian Hübner" added regular expression syntax, where a set of characters or a text string containing wildcard characters and operations that define a set of one or more possible strings can be matched, searched, extracted, replaced and fitting the pattern of a particular regular expression algorithms, I saw a loop hole and the power of regular expression. I think that it is not the intentions of "Christian Hübner" for regular expression of what I discovered and as a mentor and a great developer of this great PopMan Manager Application, I thank "Christian Hübner" for improving and developing this great application for the benefits of the PopMan users for the past three years or more.

When "Christian Hübner" implemented both the "WhiteList" in PopMan 1.3 Beta 16 released and "Regular Expression" in PopMan 1.3 Beta 14 released, things get easier now to defeat junk mails and spammers for good. Here is the simple procedure below.

CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!!
This Rules.txt only applies if your intentions is only e-mails and web sites that are in your "WhiteList" will not be deleted and nothing else other than the "WhiteList".

CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!! CAUTIONS!!!
This Rules.txt is way too aggressive for this procedures and all e-mails will be deleted except e-mail addresses in your "WhiteList" data base, so be careful doing this procedures. Also, if you want to play safe, use one or all of the options "Read, NotNew, MarkForDelete" instead of the aggressive "Delete" option until you're confident that this procedures suited for you. Here is the three procedures below:

1. Add all your e-mail address[es] to the PopMan "WhiteList", including web site[s] that you subscribed. (PopMan --> Tools -> WhiteList --> Add)

2. In your "Rules.txt", add this one below or cut and paste. [You can take out "Subject is empty -> Delete" if you want. Also, you can substitute misc1 to what ever name you want. BTW, I have only five lines in my Rules.txt including two blank lines.]

Subject is empty -> Delete

Header+From+Subject+Message contains any of misc1 -> Delete

define list misc1 = {regex:".[A-Z]", regex:"[A-Z].", regex:".[a-z]", regex:"[a-z].", regex:".[0-9]", regex:"[0-9]."}

3. Save "Rules.txt"

NOTE: Be sure in your PopMan --> Tools --> Options --> Logging --> enable OR put a check mark in (1) "Enable logging", (2) "Only log compact mail info instead of data traffic", and (3) "Enable logging applied rules". In "log file size" it's your call how many kb you want.

If you want to see what's happening in this procedures after invoking/logging the Application PopMan, use any text editor and open "PopManLogFile.log" and you will be surprised how many junk mails were deleted.

Note that the word "White Listed!" will be recorded in the "PopManLogFile.log" this is the "WhiteList" you added in your PopMan --> Tools -> WhiteList --> Add but not deleted by the PopMan's Rules.txt.

Your "PopManLogFile.log" should be in directory of \PopMan\Data. Here you can add e-mail address[es] and web site[s] that's been deleted in the PopMan "Rules.txt" that you forgotten to put OR want to include in the PopMan "WhiteList".

PS: If your option(s) were one or all of "Read, NotNew, MarkForDelete", you will see in the main PopMan App e-mail "message view" the "Rules #2" at the end of the line.

If "Delete" option, you will see in the main PopMan App e-mail "message view" the "Rules #2" at the end of the line. (Your "WhiteList")

Also, if "Delete" option, you will see "[Rule #2 -> Delete]" for unwanted mail(s) OR "[Rule #2 -> ] White Listed!" for your "WhiteList" at the end of the line if you open "PopManLogFile.log"
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

You can get the "Delete all Non-WhiteList mail" feature even simpler with a single line:

Subject is empty OR Subject not is empty -> MarkForDelete, Read, NotNew

The rule condition simply always applies because a subject can only be empty or not empty (it's a tautology). Therefore all mails are "deleted" unless they are on the WhiteList. Btw, it doesn't matter if you use "Subject" or anything else. It is just an workaround to say something like: All -> MarkForDelete, Read, NotNew
Christian Hübner
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

WOW!!!!!!!!! Learnt something new again with one keystroke in "Rules.txt" for "WhiteList" only and without ever using regular expressions. You're the man, Christian, you're the mannnnnnnnnn!!!!
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

My mannnnnnnnnnnn, Christian Hübner's suggestion is a real winner.

Here it is again the "Rules.txt" for "WhiteList" only;

1. Add all your e-mail address[es] to the PopMan "WhiteList", including web site[s] that you subscribed. (PopMan --> Tools -> WhiteList --> Add)

2. In your "Rules.txt", add this one line below or cut and paste.

Subject is empty OR Subject not is empty -> MarkForDelete, Read, NotNew

3. Save "Rules.txt"

Happy PopMan[ing]!!!!!!!!!!! No more black listing and no more spam filtering.
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

Update!!!!!

For readers and users who are new to PopMan application, Rules.txt & WhiteList should be on your top down menu Tools --> [Rules... & White List...] (and when you right-click Rules..., your text editor will open the Rules.txt file). And for computer savvy, your Rules.txt & WhiteList.dat is in your \PopMan\Data directory.

So far for the past two weeks, the PopMan's "Rules.txt" for "WhiteList" only is winning the war on spams and junk mails. No intrusions of unwanted mails coming on any of my four e-mail accounts since the implementation of "WhiteList" in PopMan 1.3 Beta 16 released and "Regular Expression" in PopMan 1.3 Beta 14.

I had my dreaded killer option " -> Delete " on my Rules.txt since the beginning and I loved counting the deleted unwanted mails in "PopManLogFile.log" and lost track counting.

I use PopMan 100% of the time, 24hrs a day on my system tray for checking e-mails and use only my e-mail clients (Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook ) for replying or writing to someone.

Again I can not thank good enough, "Christian Hübner", for this wonderful PopMan POP3/IMAP Manager application he created, developed and improved for the past several years and who dedicated his own time and effort for the good of the PopMan users which is second to none and highly recommended and the fact that it's a FREE software.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

you are right, we all should thank Christian for this wonderful software :D
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Tommy,

I guess there's a lot of PopMan users who doesn't voice their opinions but deep inside they are the silent majority happy campers PopMan's users.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

well said