Additional columns for mail list

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

Darkbee

Additional columns for mail list

Post by Darkbee »

I'd like to politely request some a couple of additional columns for the mail list view:
  1. Create icons (or perhaps just text) to represent the priority of mail as in the "X-Priority: 1 (Highest)" source header field OR the "importance" field. I'm assuming this is possible since priority actually seems to be part of the protocol. Again, I assume there are 5 values (from what I can tell) which relate to Highest, High, Normal, Low and Lowest. I realize priority isn't always used but it is useful. I also have a suggestion for the icons but I might be getting ahead of myself
  • The date & time the email was sent, would be useful to me
  • Not sure, but it might be useful to have the CC field
I assume that BCC field is never inserted into the mail header hence it is "blind"?
  • A slightly more crazy one and perhaps not so useful would be the "X-mailer" field, which I assume is inserted by the mail client that the sender is using. Its more interesting than useful though.
The more I look at the headers the more cool things I find; like I didn't realize that there is an "organization" field. Like the "X-mailer" field it probably isn't terribly useful though and not commonly used.

While on the subject of columns, would it be possible to have different column settings for different tabs (in multi-tab view)? I'm not saying that I actually want this, and at the moment it doesn't seem all that useful, but it is just an idea that I had and so I wondered about the feasibility of implementing it.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

Additional columns like Sent, Mailer, Priority might cool.
While on the subject of columns, would it be possible to have different column settings for different tabs (in multi-tab view)?
Yes, this would be possible, but I don't like the idea because of several reasons:

- since there are quite a lot of settings that have to be stored for each mail list view (column index, visibility, order), it would blow up the PopMan.ini file or registry, hence increasing PopMan startup time
- if you have lots of tabs and want to change, e.g. the column order, you must do it for every tab separately; this can be difficult if you want to adjust column width and want to have the same for every tab
- I think it's desirable that every tab has the same layout because if you switch the tabs (e.g. by pressing Ctrl+TAB) you don't want your eyes have to deal with jumping columns, which would make it harder to concentrate on content
Christian Hübner
bigben

Post by bigben »

Hi Christian,
I just want to agree to your point of view! POPMAN is such a fine, easy to handle, transparent and effective Program that even Beginners can operate it without difficulties. It should not be overloaded with features which might be desirable and useful for professionals but not so important for "normal" users. I myself would like to see in the preview-Window the CC-Adresses and a sign or icon, whether it is a "text only" or html-mail.
By the way, maybe you can combine the menue- and the function-bar in one line to save space?
Benno B.

Post by Guest »

Christian wrote:Additional columns like Sent, Mailer, Priority might cool.
Well my opinion with columns is that they can be easily hidden so if people don't want to see 28 different column headers then they don't have to. I assume adding a few more columns will not drastically increase the resource Popman uses either.
While on the subject of columns, would it be possible to have different column settings for different tabs (in multi-tab view)?
Yes, this would be possible, but I don't like the idea because of several reasons:

(content removed for space saving)[\quote]

I think your reasoning is completely justified. As I said, I was not sure myself that this would be a useful feature but I wanted to put forward the idea just to see what people thought. You have me convinced that this is an unecessary feature.