"Black List" vs "White List" when adding

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

tengvilla

"Black List" vs "White List" when adding

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Christian,

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!!!!!

Does "Black List" and "White List" works the same way when it comes to adding domain name/address?

In "Black List", if you black list the domain name/address [i.e yahoo.com; hotmail.com; aol.com] all the domain name/address on these accounts is blocked by the "Black List Rules".

In "White List", I noticed that it doesn't works the same way as the "Black List". I added "walgreens.com" in the "White List" because I ordered a photo from Walgreens. When Walgreens "service@photo.walgreens.com" send a confirmation reply, it was deleted by the "White List Rules"

BTW, I don't use "Black List" anymore only "White List".
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

Yes, Black and White list work the same way. When it comes to domains, only the complete domain part of an email address is considered, that means the domain of service@photo.walgreens.com is photo.walgreens.com which was not in your White list.

But this example makes clear, that the current approach is to simple, because it doesn't care about subdomains. I've just modified PopMan to handle subdomains correctly, that means, if you add walgreens.com to the White/Black list, emails with from address like service@photo.walgreens.com will also be affected. Thank you for this contribution. :)
Christian Hübner
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

does this mean that you mdoifed last beta 17?

should we download it again to have the "subdomain thing" in the white list?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

No, the change will be included in the next Beta version...
Christian Hübner
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

ok. will we see it before Xmas?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

Most probably: yes.
Christian Hübner
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Tommy,

Are you a "White List" convert now and trash your long list of "Black List" [no offense!!!!]?

There's a lot of advantages using "White List" specially if you have a big "address book" list [I think this apply to small and big company that filter their employee's incoming mails in their company's e-mail server] and no need of filtering spam(s) with no hassle just add you favorite address book to the "White List". But if you want a specific e-mail domain(s) block or still want some unknown e-mail(s) come to your mail box, "Regular Expression" is way to go/use.

Regards
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

i still use both.

your use of white list is too extreme (no offense)

deleting everything is outside it could lead to unwanted deletion of non-spam stuff
tengvilla

Post by tengvilla »

Extreme for deletion, yes I agree Tommy, if you use the option " -> Delete " and like I said before that if you want to play it safe use one or all the option " -> Read, NotNew, MarkForDelete " and you get all your incoming mails including unwanted mails.

Also, if you choose the extreme deletion option " -> Delete ", you can still read all your deleted mail if your preference in your top down menu Tools --> Options --> Logging --> [uncheck/disable] Only log compact mail in instead of entire data traffic --> [uncheck/disable] Enable logging of applied rules. If you open your \PopMan\PopManLogFile.log, you can read the deleted mail.
:)