Request... Gmail specific Plugin

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

Jezz_x

Request... Gmail specific Plugin

Post by Jezz_x »

I get pretty annoyed by the fact the gmail will always show the messages everytime you check it through pop3 ssl so maybe making a add on to the ssl plugin that will send the delete option to the server but not the message window so they won't keep on coming up as new mail even though they arn't. Because they still get stored in you gmail inbox
Bittercrash

Post by Bittercrash »

I have that same problem as well.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

I don't understand your problem. When you receive your GMail messages with your email client, GMail will automatically remove those messages from the POP3 inbox, that means they appear to be "deleted". Therefore they will not be visible for PopMan anymore. This is exactly the standard POP3 behaviour: Your messages are visible in PopMan until you've received them with your email client (which usually deletes them after retrieving).

Am I missing something here?
Christian Hübner
Jezz_X

Post by Jezz_X »

the problem is that I don't use a email client to view gmail I still use the web interface I only use popman to tell me if I have new mail in it
Maybe the solution is keeping track of what I've viewed in popman as apossed to to whats new in Gmail

Its like this with a normal pop3 account even if I don't download the mail but view it in the popman preview window the next time it checks the account that mail won't be listed as a new message by the number in the system tray Icon with Gmail even after previewing it will still be classed as new mail in the system tray number

But as I said I don't use a email client to view gmail I use the web interface and even after reading them they are still classed as unread by popman. So a simple once previewed in popman send the delete message to gmails server but not popman so it wont appear as new next time
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

With Gmail even after previewing it will still be classed as new mail in the system tray number
I don't think so: A GMail account behaves exactly as a standard POP3 account regarding new messages. If you have read the message in PopMan, it will not be show in the tray icon nor will it be marked "unread" the next time you check your GMail account, right?

If you want to auto-delete your GMail messages after they have been retrieved with PopMan, you can enable the account option "Load all email completely" on the Advanced tab. When a message is retrieved completely, GMail will auto-delete it from the POP3 inbox...
Christian Hübner
paulba

Post by paulba »

I dont have problems with the previewed mail still showing in the system tray but I would like to be able to delete the mail from gmail when I delete it with popman, that way I still get to preview the email and I keep what I want on the gmail server

Currently I preview and delete via popman and the mail is still on my gmail account.
Bittercrash

Post by Bittercrash »

The 'issue' I have with PM and Gmail is that for every message I send (via the web interface) I get a notification in PopMan.
I don't understand this. :?: :?: :?:
shm

Post by shm »

I downloaded PM this morning and I encountered some of this "problems" about PM+Gmail accounts...
I am one of those would avoid using my mail client to read Gmail mails, but the best solution I reached out is this:
1)In PM I set my Gmail account to just "Retrieve header..."
2)I set the Gmail account on his site to keep a copy of downloaded via POP mails
3)I added my Gmail account in my mail client (Outlook Express)
4)I added a rule in Outlook that moves in a folder called "Sended from Gmail" emails from the Gmail account AND with my address in the "from" field.

Well, I think that could be useful a plugin (or just some more options) able to read a specific mail completely (but not automatically all mails from the same account) only when I open it with PM, making a sort of "mark as read" option. Furthermore an "auto-option" able to read completely mails from an account with the same sender could solve the problem of notified sended mails from Gmail.

...I hope you got my bad english...
Thanks!