Black List IP Address

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

tengvilla

Black List IP Address

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Christian,

Long time user of PopMan and enjoying it very much and I don't mind paying for this good e-mail App.

Questions, is it possible to black list an "IP address" instead of the "Domain Name or Domain Address" in PopMan top menu Tools -> Black List -> Add?

What I'm doing now is the PopMan Rules [Header contains any of {"83.15.109.14", etc -> Delete]. This seems to be working right now.

Teng Villa
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

No, you can not black list IP addresses directly, only with the help of rules.

But I don't think that it makes sense to block a certain IP address?!
Christian Hübner
tengvilla

BLACK LIST IP ADDRESS

Post by tengvilla »

What I understand and correct me if I'm wrong, I only block the IP address of the person's computer not the Internet provider or IP address of the web site provider where you can distinguish in the header the RETURN-PATH or from the example here "FROM blowjox@xxxxx.com [123.123.161.1]". I do this cause some spammers were using forge or fake id e-mail address.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

The spammer can also include a wrong IP address, but even if not, IP addresses are usually not statically assigned to a certain computer! They are assigned dynamically each time a computer is connected to the internet. If a spammer has a certain IP address today, he will have another tomorrow, but anyone else might get the old blocked IP address!!!

Therefore I strongly discourage anyone from blocking IP addresses!
Christian Hübner
tengvilla

BLACK LIST IP ADDRESS

Post by tengvilla »

Thanks for the clarification, Christian. Will go back blocking only the the Domain Name/Address not the IP Address.
tengvilla

Black List IP Address

Post by tengvilla »

Hi Christian,

For curiosity sake, I keep experimenting the "Popman Rules -> MarkForDelete" for IP Address(es) for the past week and I found out that several web sites I did subscribed were "MarkForDelete" when I retrieved my e-mails.

You were right that IP address(es) were dynamically assigned on a computer(s) each time a computer(s) is logged to the Internet. And black listing IP address(es) is not adivisable.

Like I said before, I'm back black listing Internet address/domain name not IP address(es).