System tray errors

You've found a bug in PopMan? Tell me about it!

Moderator: Christian

paulba

System tray errors

Post by paulba »

All starts out well but at some point (and I'm sorry I cant work out when) the icon on the system tray stops updating and the mouse over reports the wrong info.
Here's an example:

There were no unread messages in any of the accounts (I have 3).

This happens on both Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2.

Can you shine any light on the problem??

Regards'

Paul
Last edited by paulba on 29 Aug 2011, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

This is a known but hard to overcome problem, see:

viewtopic.php?t=63
viewtopic.php?t=11

How often do you experience this problem?

Maybe I will have another look at the trayicon code the next days...
Christian Hübner
paulba

Post by paulba »

How often do you experience this problem?
It happens all the time. I have one PC at home that is shutdown each day while I'm at work and back on at night, this unit seems to have the problem come up withing about the first 3 hours of being on.

The other unit is at work and is on all the time so I dint see when the problem appears.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I actuall have tried to pin point the timing but with no luck as you dont know its failed until you look at the mail . You might have to make a test version with some traps/test points that might help with the identification.

thanks
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

I have created a new build of PopMan that includes a modification to the tray icon handling:

http://www.ch-software.de/popman/downlo ... 2-2006.zip

This modification should make the icon more robust. I have also added a messagebox notification, that will appear every time the taskbar is recreated (which happens e.g. if explorer.exe crashes/restarts). On this event PopMan recreates its tray icon. But if this event is raised without the taskbar recreated, the "tray icon freeze problem" appeared in previous versions of PopMan. In other words, I hope that the icon freeze problem is gone and instead you will see the "tray icon recreated" messagebox every time when usually the PopMan icon has frozen.

So, anyone who suffers from the "tray icon freeze problem" please replace your PopMan.exe with this new build and tell me whether the problem seems to be fixed or not.
Christian Hübner
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Christian,

I'm using this version for some time now, and the problem never once popped up. Popman always shows the correct amount of messages. I never had a popupbox saying something was recreated or whatever, but Popman seems to work more stable this way... good work!

Time for a new beta, of even better... time for 1.3?