Customize?

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

Customize?

Post by Guest »

Hello!

For years I used "Skrzynka Bogiego" (sound strange if you aren't Polish citizen :) LINK
It's good program but last version is from 2002 year (program is no longer development). Nowadays has lack of options. People need something more powerful to fight with spam.

Popman is great. No doubt! PM got all good things which Skrzynka Bogiego has got plus more more additional features.

I'd like to suggest not useful options but something what can make PM more neat and nice for your eyes. You think I'm mean skinnable program? No no no. Never ever - I love simplicty and how light PM is. That's what I never would change.

But one little thing I'd like to be able change is ICONS. Would be great if everyone could customize icons programs (icons which appear on toolbar, icons used in tray and so on). I'm not programmer and I don't know how to make it, but maybe icons could be stored in DLL or maybe icons can be small pictures (16x16) on the one horizonal bitmap strip? I saw a programs where you can change icons by replacing DLL or replace BMP file which contain icons. Support for 32-bit depth colours are welcome.

Please think about it. Would be really great. Give us possibiltes to makes own set of icons and share with other users.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Might be a nice option for 1.4, or even 2.0 :? But, as you said yourself, PM is clean and simple, and I think functionality is more important than user-designed-buttons...
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

I will add the possibility to use custom toolbar icons with the next Beta: Just put your toolbar bitmap in the PopMan folder and name it "toolbar.bmp". Each icon is 15 pixel heigh and 16 pixel wide. Since there are 8 toolbar buttons, your bitmap must be 128x15 pixel in size.

See the standard toolbar bitmap for details.

Customizing all other icons and bitmaps is not as simple and may be possible in a later version...
Christian Hübner
abe

Post by abe »

Guy who started this topic is me ;)
I've become a big fan of this small program and decided to register on forum .

Thanks Christian for response. Nice to see that feautre will be built-in the program soon. I hope in further versions we will be able to change icons in tray to ;)

Have a nice day.

to Jeroen
I must say I've been in Netherlands last summer and I met your town too. Delft is so nice and cute small town - I like it. All Netherlands is so colorful, clean and nice.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Christian wrote:Each icon is 15 pixel heigh and 16 pixel wide.
I tried to create some nice looking buttons, but 15x16 is damn small... would it be possible to make them a little bit bigger? Or even better, choose between small and "large" icons?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

The next beta will have support for any-size toolbar icons! :D
Note, the standard Windows toolbar, that is used by PopMan, seems to support 8 Bit (256 color) bitmaps only. With 24 Bit bitmaps, the transparency seems to fail for some unknown reason. But 256 colors should still be much better than the 16 standard colors used now.
Christian Hübner
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Christian wrote:The next beta will have support for any-size toolbar icons!
You're kidding, aren't you? If you're not, how can I make bigger icons? Or does Popman divide the width of toolbar.bmp by eight?
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Okay, to answer my own question: Yes, it seems that Popman divides the width of the toolbar.bmp by eight :-) So buttons can be bigger than 15x16! See my example in another subject...
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

It seems that Popman divides the width of the toolbar.bmp by eight
Since there is no easy way to get the number of buttons in a toolbar and I didn't want to hard code "eight" buttons, the icon width is guessed based on the height: If the bitmap is x pixel heigh, the icon width is most likely x! We can check this by dividing the bitmap width by x. This should give us a remainder of zero. If not, PopMan tries x+1, x-1, x+2, x-2, x+3, x+4, ...
Christian Hübner
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

And I guess the next step would be a menu option to select the buttons of your choice. Create a folder "skins" (or whatever) and put all *.bmp files in there. That way the user can select and view several sets of buttons!