White list - advantages

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

abe

White list - advantages

Post by abe »

Hi folks!

We got great feature -> Black List. But when you use it you have to be very carefull. If you add by accident e-mail address your friend you'll never get e-mails from this person. But Black List is necessary and is still useful. No doubt!

I'm thinking about improvement - White List. General it's list of your friends and confidential e-mail addresses.
First and most important White List has HIGHER priority than Black List - it means if I got e.g myfriend@domain.com address in both lists email will NOT be delete. And that's all :wink:

I got one more idea. How use White List - it would be great to have possibilities to give each address different colours. If I got e-mail form e.g. Jon Bon Jovi :) it shows on list in pink, if from my wife it would be.... orange ....

simple and powerful 8)

tell me what do you think about that.

greetings
David
Buddel

Post by Buddel »

I prefer a BLACK list to a WHITE list. I get lots of legitimate emails; it would take me ages to add all the senders of them to a white list. IMHO, a black list is much more convenient. You simply right-click on an email you don't want to see in your inbox again, then add it to your black list and you're done. Much easier than adding all legitimate addresses to a white list. Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,
Buddel
abe

Post by abe »

I agree Black List is very useful and I would not remove it. I just would like to add White List. Together BL & WL will make Popman more powerful. That was my intention.

Post by Guest »

abe wrote:I agree Black List is very useful and I would not remove it. I just would like to add White List. Together BL & WL will make Popman more powerful. That was my intention.
I agree. A black list AND and a white list may be quite useful. :)
Buddel

Post by Buddel »

Oops, sorry, forgot to sign my last post. :shock:
abe

Post by abe »

I'm curious what is Christian's opinion about this new features? :)
bigben

Post by bigben »

Hi Christian,
I don´t want to push you - you´re doing an excellent job - I just want to underline the request of "abe" :!: . A Whitelist in connection with the newly integrated Rules-Feature would almost completely solve the spam-problem of a lot of users I think :D . By the way, the marking of the spam-mails isn´t quite satisfying now - the mail-index is getting hard to follow-up by all these dashes :( . Maybe it would be possible to fill the concerned lines with a somehow colored shading? More important would be to place a sortable sign or word somewhere in the line to allow sorting the good and the bad mails into blocks :idea: . Putting the word "SPAM" in the priority-coloumn seems to me a practical way.
Regards Benno B.
bigben

Post by bigben »

p.s. . :idea: ..... corresponding to the Whitelist a positive rule-action would be desireable, e.g. subject contains <expression> -> ok ! This could be used by people who expect a lot of mails from unknown senders due to business-action. In their offers and/or advertisements they could specify a key-word to be placed in the subject line of the mail. By this way they could be sure to receive them :!: . Benno B.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

Thank you for your suggestions, I will think about it...
Christian Hübner
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

White List would prevail over rules or not?
bigben

Post by bigben »

Hi folks,
because Christian seemingly hasn´t enough time to deal with this object - you should throw a glance at "www.poptray.org". There is a quite similar program named "poptray" with whitelist and other interesting features. Both programs "popman" and "poptray" seem to me to have the same origin - I think it´s a good alternative, at least until Christian got time to complete his program.
Benno B. :wink:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

i used PopTray in the past but i prefer PopMan
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

is white-list available in PopMan 1.3 beta 15?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

No, there is no built-in WhiteList available in PopMan 1.3 Beta 15, but there will be with Beta 16. When? Soon.
Christian Hübner
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

great!!!