Program Update

You have suggestions to improve PopMan? Here is the right place to mention them.

Moderator: Christian

bigben

Program Update

Post by bigben »

The update assistant is a very comfortable way to update the programm - but a very dangerous too I think, because there is no chance to control what files and/or programs are downloaded during this operation :shock: !!! Who guarantees that no mal- or spyware is coming down this way? :?:
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

I can't really understand your concerns. Using the update wizard is not more dangerous than installing PopMan via setup routine :!: You don't have total control in both cases. If you don't trust me, you can still use the ZIP archive distribution when updating, so you can check all files and make sure there is no spyware inside...
Christian Hübner
bigben

Program Update

Post by bigben »

Hi Christian,
don´t be upset, my statment was not an attack on your personal integrity but a principal reflection on this matter! I think you will not deny the potential thread :twisted: this way represents! Demanding trust in your honesty and integrity in the anonymous cyberspace of today is not very real thinking I mean :wink: You probably know the stories of the ebay-sellers which traded normally quite a time before they startet the great coup. Every direkt link out of a program to the homepage includes a potential thread! Therefor I think it would be better to abandon these features to even avoid the impression of fraudulent intentions!
mycatesplace@rogers.com

Trust & Honesty

Post by mycatesplace@rogers.com »

Whoa!!

There has to be a basic level of trust here. There is such a wide gap in knowledge out there. There are people who know how to click buttons and hope they get what they need/want from their computers and there are whiz's, with a whole range in between. I know that I am closer to the former than the latter and if wizards were taken away, I would have to hire someone to update my computer all the time.

Christian is right about one thing. If you don't trust using the wizard, download the zip files and run them through your virus/spyware detectore first. That way those of use who arent' all that computer literate can still get programs that they need.