Error Message On Boot Up

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

TerryWood

Error Message On Boot Up

Post by TerryWood »

I have been using PopMan for quite a while now (Current version 1.3) without any real problems.

However over recent months I am getting the following error message immediately after PopMan boots up (It boots with Windows XP SP3)

"A sharing violation has occurred while accessing C:\Program
Files\PopMan\Data\Rules.txt"

I am using Comodo Firewall with Defense+ activated and Avast Home with 7 on access scanners activated. I also use Firefox and Thunderbird latest versions and Sandboxie. Popman is NOT run Sandboxed

Apart from Windows updates and Avast and Comodo Updates nothing has changed in my security setup.

The problem appears at boot up only. But it does not do it all the time. That said I have had 4 days worth of boot ups (several a day) in which this problem has occurred consistently.

Anybody help please?

Thank you

Terry
Cadillakin

Re: Error Message On Boot Up

Post by Cadillakin »

TerryWood wrote:I have been using PopMan for quite a while now (Current version 1.3) without any real problems.

However over recent months I am getting the following error message immediately after PopMan boots up (It boots with Windows XP SP3)

"A sharing violation has occurred while accessing C:\Program
Files\PopMan\Data\Rules.txt"

I am using Comodo Firewall with Defense+ activated and Avast Home with 7 on access scanners activated. I also use Firefox and Thunderbird latest versions and Sandboxie. Popman is NOT run Sandboxed

Apart from Windows updates and Avast and Comodo Updates nothing has changed in my security setup.

The problem appears at boot up only. But it does not do it all the time. That said I have had 4 days worth of boot ups (several a day) in which this problem has occurred consistently.

Anybody help please?

Thank you

Terry
Hi Terry.. I'm a Sandboxie user too. Great program.. as is this little PopMan.

Anyway, I think you isolated the problem yourself when mentioning Comodo. Popman is going to read that rules file each time it starts up.. Nothing should be standing in it's way.. but it seems that Comodo is having a say in that... Probably one of the updates changed its interaction with your system.

I know Sandboxie has more issues with Comodo than any other security program.. It's quite intrusive.. But I think you can disable and/or uninstall Comodo to confirm that.. and then work on finding a way to stop it from interceding in PopMans processes..

I'd take that issue to the Comodo forum.. Somebody is likely to know how to help you.
PostScript

Post by PostScript »

Terry,

I may not use Sandboxie, but do use Comodo with AVG and have been a very long user of PopMan. No problems with Comodo or AVG. I would point the finger at the VM environment.