Any news about updates?

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

doublewitt

Any news about updates?

Post by doublewitt »

I appreciate this application and would like to see an update specifically for the Gmail retrieval options. I've done everything to get this to work and with no success.

I made a decision that I want to use this program for previewing emails on the server and managing them also. I'm already using it for my ISP provider (emails) and I would like to be able to use it for my Gmail accounts. The layout of this application beats many and it's so useful.

Is there any hope for an update soon...?
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

I still think this is not a problem in PopMan because for me and several other PopMan users, GMail access works perfectly.

Please try the following:

1) Make sure that there is no Anti-Spam/Anti-Hacking/Firewall protection tool running in the background, that might block PopMan from accessing the internet (e.g. Symantec Endpoint Protection)

2) Download a fresh copy of PopMan ZIP distribution and unpack the entire content of the ZIP file to a newly created folder (e.g. on your Desktop)

3) Close any running instance of PopMan and open the PopMan.exe that you've just unpacked

4) Create a new POP3 account (not a GMail account!) in PopMan and verify that it works in PopMan

5) Create a second account in PopMan for your GMail account and use these settings:

Protocol: IMAP4rev1 (SSL)
Server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
User name: Your complete GMail email address, e.g. xx.yy@gmail.com
Password: Your GMail password

6) Try to retrieve mail from this GMail account.

If the last step fails, tell me the exact red error message and try to use the raw IP address 66.249.91.109 for the server name. If that fails too, try to get the IP address yourself: Open the Windows command line (also called DOS-Box) and enter ping imap.gmail.com. This will try to reach the GMail IMAP server and output the IP address. If it is different than 66.249.91.109 try to use it as the server name.

If it still doesn't work, try to use PopMan and your GMail account on another computer and/or another network connection and check if it works there. If so, the problem is on your computer, most likely a firewall, anti-virus or anti-hacking tool that interfers with PopMan. Try to disable or uninstall any such tool.

Good luck!
Christian Hübner
doublewitt

Post by doublewitt »

Thanks, everything is working fine now...!
:D :D :D
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

Please tell us, what was the cause of your GMail problems...
Christian Hübner
doublewitt

Post by doublewitt »

To be honest, I don't know...
I simply did what you said above and all works fine now.
Previously, I tried everything and there was no way to get it to work...
I read all the posts and applied all the advice I could find - but no luck.

Let's just say, I'm glad it works. And for sure, it has become my favorite email checker...!
Thanks

P.S. as soon as I can see what caused the problem, I will report back here.
On second thought, I wonder if it was related to my anti-virus. I did check the settings though. The reason is, the last time I checked to see if Gmail accounts work was when I was using Avast Home edition. Now I have Kaspersky installed and it works fine... that could have been the problem...