Viruses

General discussion about PopMan.

Moderator: Christian

Eusebius

Viruses

Post by Eusebius »

I very much like Popman -- it's quick, compact and easy to use.

One question puzzles me.

If I understand the program description correctly, when Popman checks for e-mail, it does not download the mail onto the computer; the mail remains instead on the server. Recently, however, as I was using Popman to check my mail, Norton Antivirus (version 2003) intercepted and quarantined a virus. No harm done; but if Popman doesn't download e-mails, then why did Norton detect the virus? How can a virus find its way onto a computer via Popman if Popman doesn't download e-mails? (I'm using Popman 1.1.1)

Keep up the great work.
Christian
Site Admin

Post by Christian »

The description says "without having to load these mails completely".
Of course PopMan has to load at least a part of a message to provide preview functionality. In fact, small emails are downloaded completely. But you can change the definition of "small emails" in the accounts' property page. If you change the "Limit size" to 20 KB, PopMan won't download any virus-mails (and your Antivirus software won't intercept) because most viruses tend to be ~30 KB in size these days...

Btw, why don't you use the latest 1.2.1 version of PopMan?
Christian Hübner

Post by Guest »

"Btw, why don't you use the latest 1.2.1 version of PopMan?"

Because I've been perfectly happy with Popman 1.1.1 and have simply not felt the need for any new features.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have already applied your suggested file-size changes.